Thursday, March 22, 2012

e o jeitinho brasileiro.

Ok, so I lied to all of you.
Not only did I say I would be back on Tuesday or Wednesday of last week (in my last post), but I said that I'd be back to talk about either goal #3 or goal #13. Not only did I miss updating on Tuesday or Wednesday, but now that I'm back, I'm not going to talk about either of those goals! I probably could, but now I'm too excited about another item on my list, and I get distracted easily.
So, let's focus now on #2 - learn to speak Portuguese fluently.

Now, those of you that know me probably know that I'm 1/2 Brazilian. Those of you that don't know me: I'm 1/2 Brazilian. Now that that's cleared up...
My mom is very Brazilian. And I say very, because she fits all of those stereotypes out there. What, you didn't know there were Brazilian stereotypes? Well, there are. And had you grown up in my household, you'd know them too. For those of you who don't want to click on the link, here are a couple of my faves (that are totally true). You know you're Brazilian when:
-You like Guarana better than Coke
-You know who Xuxa and Pele are
-You are the loudest person in the room
-You take soccer too seriously
-Everyone thinks you're everything but Brazilian
And my personal favorite:
-Your breakfasts consist of milk & coffee, bread with butter, and a piece of cake.

That last one is my favorite because, good lord, it caused me a lot of grief as a kid. Most of my friends had, you know, normal families. So I'd wake up at their house after sleepovers to a breakfast of eggs and bacon or maybe waffles or pancakes. At my house, though? No ma'am. My friends woke up to coffee and fresh bread with butter. Sarah - do you remember that? Good times. But hey, those are still my most favorite breakfasts, so I'm not complaining here!

ANYWAY. Let me get back to the topic at hand: learning Portuguese.
I speak Spanish fluently, but that's never been enough. I've always secretly held a grudge against my mom for not teaching us (my brother & I) Portuguese when our young, nimble minds could handle it. We know a lot of stuff, the important stuff, but I want to know the little things.

What language have you always wanted to learn?

I've sent a couple of e-mails to Portuguese teachers I've found here in Austin and am very, very excited to see where this goes. I've considered Rosetta Stone, too, but it's pretty pricey. I'll keep you guys updated on this adventure!

Boa sorte to me! (That means good luck!)
Oh and PS. The title of this post means: it's the Brasilian way.

5 comments:

  1. I want to be fluent in Portuguese too! My husband lived ion Sao Paulo for two years and he is fluent. I have a much longer way to go though:) I am just jealous you can speak Spanish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish SO bad that I could speak another language. My hubby speaks spanish, which I think would be awesome! I think I may add another language to my list of things to do before I die. Loving your cute blog!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ LeSeuers - I love Sao Paulo! I still have a long way to go, but the Spanish thing does help :)

    @ The Millers - thank you so much! My husband and I decided we were going to dedicate entire days to speaking ONLY Spanish so that he could start learning. Wish us luck haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun venture to take on.. I was just as determined to learn French and I had so much fun doing it! This is a great idea for a blog by the way, glad I stumbled upon it! xo

    http://dreamingenfrancais.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! French is so beautiful, that's always been the other language I'd love to have learned.

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for stopping by! your comment means a lot.

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS